Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Beeeeoooo...... the wulf!!

To be honest, I am a movie noob and am pretty outdated in terms of cinema and the latest movies. The only movies I am interested in are comedies and horror haha......don't like it? Shoot me!!

But....but....since today is my off day, I was so bored at home i decided to go watch a movie, alone....poor me :(. Since my bf left for home, I feel I am already half single haha(Miss those times though)...So i called my colleague and see if she was free for a movie and I found out she was having her piggy nap. I had no choice so off i went!!

Which movie did i choose?? To be honest, to kill time, I chose the one i didn't have to wait too long for.I reached at 1pm and "Beowulf" was showing at 1:30pm. So there!! Beowulf!!

I didn't know bout the movie when i bought the ticket though.So to add, when the lady at the counter found out I was going to watch it alone, she gave me the "awww...poor you" look...grrr!! Nevermind!! At 1:30pm, i was comfortably in my seat, munching on pop corns. Bout 2 minutes into it, I found out it's actually 3D!! So i thought "crap!! Should have chosen another one!!"......Well, am not really a big fan of realistic 3D movies though. But i decided to give "Beowulf" another chance.

Beowulf is actually an old English heroic poem which dates back to between the 8th and 11th century. In the movie, it tells the story of a heroic figure, Beowulf destroying the overpowering demon Grendel, incurs the undying wrath of the beast's ruthlessly seductive mother, who will use any means possible to ensure revenge.


This computer-generated piece is full of swagger, pride, and a gnarly sense of humor. The action begins with a splendid feast in the mead hall of King Hrothgar, a mighty monarch with a young, unhappy wife . The mead, for which he his renowned, flows freely, and eventually so do the drinking songs. The merry makings and drinking songs eventually irritates Grendel , the slimy and semi-decomposed monster who lives in the bottom of a swamp lake. He sets forth on a rampage that results in mayhem, death, and a closing down of the mead hall. Hrothgar offers half the gold in his kingdom to anyone who can kill the creature, and so Beowulf arrives. He’s full of boasts and promise to get rid of Grendel.


The 3-D effects are nothing short of stunning, starting from the first frame with a waterfall slithering at what appears to be several feet from the screen. Looks very realistic.Imaginative ways are also used to show off the extra dimension, even if it becomes almost comical at times.

Then again, smooth 360 shots with swords, spears, ship’s masts, and the pointier bits of dragons were good. Even a close-up circuit of a crown is darned impressive. At first, I didn't even realised it was 3D ! Equally imaginative are all the ways they find to hide Beowulf’s manhood as he takes on the monster Grendel wearing nothing but his, ahem......swagger!! But that was funny.


.


Though I find the 3D effects stunning!! But they don’t quite manage to get the human beings right. Aside from there being something rubbery about the flesh. And also the eyes look soulless. Expressions, movements don't look quite right. Especially when they run and galloping away on horseback. Don’t get me started on how downright silly a band of them galloping on horseback looks.

But overall, I find myself enjoying Beowulf. It's bloody, it's funny, it's exciting and it's impressive. a thrilling visit to an alien time and place, devoid of a single dull moment and spiked with something interesting, unexpected and visually gripping in virtually every frame

3 comments:

Nicole said...

wa rao e... just realised november alone you updated 23 times. o.O that's my two month's worth.

:: Nicole.F :: said...

hmmm.. it seems like everyone likes this movie! actually it doesn't appeal to me much.. hmmm.. maybe i should give it a try??

Miss Piggy Lass said...

nicocoa : Haha that's the blogger's syndrome i have been infected with :p. Kinda addicted!!

Nicole : To be honest, i didn't chose the movie but i guess the movie chose me, it was destined!! Haha...But it was good. Not a fan of realistic 3D animation but it was good!! Give ti a try :p